Postpartum pregnancy belts, true Godsend?
As magical as giving birth is, and welcoming our precious little ones into the world… we all know the recovery process is very hard, emotional and straining on our bodies. The vaginal pains, c-section pains, cramps, sore boobs, excessive bleeding, and the fatigue. The list goes on, it takes time for our bodies and minds to start feeling almost normal
What if I could tell you there is something out there that can help make this recovery process a lot more comfortable and easier?
What are postpartum pregnancy belts?
Postpartum belts (aka postpartum girdles) are wondrously designed to help support your body after childbirth, they are generally made from elastic material and to be worn around your waist. They can help aid lower back pain, support your abdominal muscles, help relieve the pain of a c-section incision and also help your body get back into shape. You can wear the belt underneath your clothes which also helps you feel more confident and build your self-esteem. Amazing right?
Belly Bandit Original Belly Wrap
Belly bandit features an uncovered, latex-free design with medical-grade elastic to help gently reshape your belly, waist and hips post-pregnancy.
Belly Bandit Belly Wraps are designed to work with Relaxin, a natural hormone produced during pregnancy. Relaxin allows your pelvis and ligaments to soften for childbirth and stays in your body for a limited amount of time post-delivery. Wear the Belly Bandit Belly Wrap for at least the first six to ten weeks postpartum to help achieve optimal results.
- Supports back, leg & core muscles
- Lose weight and look slimmer instantly
- Adds support while breastfeeding
- Provides comfort after C-Section
- Helps minimize stretch marks
- Accelerates healing
- May help with muscle memory and body shaping
- Helps with abdominal separation also known as diastasis recti
- Applies medical-grade compression to help hurry fluids through the body
- Sizing charts is a bit small – buy next size up if you are unsure
Top 5 best rated postpartum belts
Leonisa Postpartum Knicker With Adjustable Belly Wrap
This high-waisted postpartum shaper compresses your entire tummy to instantly reduce it back to pre-pregnancy size.
This girdle also shapes your waist, and mid-to-low back, giving you more coverage to help smooth out your silhouette. Wide sides with adjustable Velcro allow you to comfortably adjust the compression level as needed. The high elastic waistband has loops where you can hook your bra straps for more support and to prevent roll-down.
- Protect C-section incision
- Adjustable size and compression level
- Front panel for firm whole-tummy compression
- No compression in butt to prevent flattening
- Hooks allow you to attach your bra straps to the waistband and prevent roll-down
- Post-surgical: may help reduce swelling and promote healing.
- Can be hard to adjust
Upspring Shrinkx Belly Bamboo Charcoal Postpartum Belly Wrap
The Shrinkx Belly Bamboo Charcoal Belly Wrap combines cutting edge bamboo charcoal fibre technology with triple-point compression to help you lose inches, shrink your uterus, and slim your figure.
Bamboo charcoal contains unique therapeutic properties that help to increase blood flow and metabolism, speed healing, and reduce swelling.
- Bamboo charcoal fibre increases circulation naturally and helps raise metabolism
- Slims belly and waist faster
- Supports core abdominal muscles and helps the uterus return to original size
- Reduces swelling, inflammation and bloating
- Adjustable, moisture-wicking and antibacterial
- Provides support after c-section
- Built-in boning supports lower back
- Can be visible through clothing
- Can be uncomfortable especially when breastfeeding
Upspring C-Panty High Waist C-Section Recovery Panty
C-section recovery underwear that supports and compresses for faster healing. Silicone panel reduces scarring, speeds healing and provides support and relief from itching and pain.
Designed by a surgeon and two-time C-section mum, recommended by health experts. Gently slim your belly and waist without causing discomfort.
- Abdominal compression to reduce swelling, help shrink your uterus and slim your belly
- Incision compression to reduce pain and help you move more easily
- Silicone panel on your incision will speed healing and reduce scarring while protecting and supporting you
- Slimming fabric that is seamless and tapered to your waist to create a nice silhouette without feeling too tight
- Leg area can be small
When can you start wearing postpartum girdle?
If you had a vaginal birth then you can start wearing your postpartum support belt right away, if you had a caesarean section then it is best to wait until your incision has healed. Always be sure to check with your doctor, midwife or health visitor just to be certain.
How long should you wear a post-pregnancy belt for?
It is recommended to wear your belt for 24 hours every day for a week if you have brought one suitable for nighttime wear. After the initial week, you can take it off at night time if you wish. You can then continue to use your postpartum belt for as long as you feel comfortable.
Things you should think about before purchasing?
So, there are a few different types of post-pregnancy belts, be sure to try them on before purchasing and see which one feels more comfortable for you as all our bodies are different and some may feel nicer on than others. They come in many different shapes, sizes with a good variety of fastenings to suit your needs. Make sure you give it a good wear test, make sure it does not go out of place when you move and does not cause you any discomfort.
Wrap belt – this postpartum belt has got many different corset type styles and wraps around your waist, generally secured with Velcro.
Zipper belt – this can come in a pull-up form which gives you support from all angle or you can also buy them in a corset style.
Hooked belt – these belts have the same type of hook you would find on bras. Very comfortable, discreet and secured.
Tie up belt – this particular type of belt in general ties up just like a corset using a ribbon and hooks.
Pull up – these girdles are very elastic and stretchy as they have no fastenings, simply pull over your feet up to your waist. Very quick and simple to put on.
Suitability and safety
Sometimes the post-pregnancy girdles are more designed for specific needs, be certain the girdle offers the correct compression, is it breathable? Does it help in the areas you need it most? Is it designed for those who have had a caesarean?
Check the material is suitable for your skin type, the postpartum belts are generally made of nylon, cotton or latex. Sometimes these materials may irritate your skin so make sure you are buying one to suit you personally.
Day and nightwear? Some belts may only be designed for specifically day wear so if you are wanting one for the night time as well double-check that it is suitable. Another thing to consider is whether the belt stays in shape once you have taken it off.
In conclusion, there are many different varieties in the post-pregnancy belts. It is very much down to finding one that suits your particular needs but with the great number of options you shouldn’t have a problem finding the one that works its magic perfectly for you!